(This post will be a little on light on analysis. More thoughts will be rolling out later!)
Praise the fujoshi goddesses. After entering the ticket raffle for Yuri!!! on Stage over and over, I managed to finally score two tickets to the afternoon movie theater viewing in Akishima, Tokyo.
Yuri!!! on Stage resembles other voice actor events popular with other series. Amiable voice actors entering and exiting the stage, engaging in a variety of talk show corners, answering questions, and playing quiz games. The following is a bullet point of the most memorable parts:
- Hiroki Yasumoto (Chris Giacometti) was well aware of his character’s (m)ass appeal. After basically introducing him as “Chris of the butts,” he showed off his own derriere to the audience midway through the show and, if memories serve right, checked out the others voice actor’s buttocks as well.
- Junichi Suwabe (Victor Nikiforov) dressed up as Victor for the event and carried around the tissue box cover Makkachin. He even dyed his hair silver, much to the concern of his hairdresser he admitted.
- Baby-faced but mischevious Ayumu Murase (Kenjirō Minami) admitted that he looked up to Kouki Uchiyama (Yuri Plisetsky) during a Q and A corner. In response to this fact, the hosts and other voice actors ushered Uchiyama on stage so Ayumu to talk to him one-on-one. Murase, now in the spotlight, instantly laid on his feminine charms heavily and practically made Uchiyama run off stage.
- Though Mamoru Miyano (JJ Leroy) did not grace the stage with his presence, he still nearly took over the show with a video appearance that was….very JJ-esque.
- The voice actors performed a drama written specifically for the event. Mitsurou Kubo stated that she wrote this with content that couldn’t appear on television.
- Summary: Almost all the skaters from the series gather to Hasetsu to perform an ice show with Victor during the offseason. The scene begins with Yuri throwing up and wearing Victor’s underwear on his head and Victor missing after a night of drunken partying.
- Confused and mystified by the Russian someone wrote on his back, Yuri tries to piece together what happened the night before with the help of the other skaters.
- Twelve hours earlier, Yuri and friends held a party at Yutopia, and even though Yuri says it’s a bad idea, he ends up drinking far too much. Amid the chaos that unfolds (and a kiss shared between Nishigori and Seung-Gil???), Yuri and Victor begin stretching. As Victor stretches Yuri, Yuri says that shachoko, a mythical Japanese fish, is more flexible. Victor mistakes shachihoko as a girl’s name Sha Chihoko, and becomes jealous that Yuri remembers another lover. Angered, Victor goes off on his own, causing Phichit to exclaim that Yuri and Victor are divorcing.
- After Yuri figures out what happened, he hears that Victor is stretching on Hasetsu Castle naked. Yuri rushes over to him, and Victor declares he doesn’t care who Sha Choko is, Yuri is his now. He also commands Yuri to strip and join him with stretching.
- Phichit ends the drama by shouting that his friends are remarrying after seeing their reconciliation.
This is merely a hot take after the event. As time goes on, I’ll add more details as well as thoughts.